Friday, January 9, 2015

Becoming a Dad!!

Here we go, installment number 2.

Writing these 2 posts have been very interesting. Its actually really scary as you don't know if your're coming off as a weirdo, offensive or just full of sh*t. I honestly say there is something very therapeutic about putting yourself out there. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I'll keep going for now.

During my 5 hour drive tonight, I was wondering what in the hell to write. I certainly had a lot of time to think and I just felt I'll let this happen naturally. Because I had to head of town I've only had my boys 1 night over the last 2 weeks, It sort of felt weird to be able to have time to think about them. So, why not a post about how I felt when I became a Dad.

I've had 1 friend recently become a father, my cousin who's girlfriend is pregnant and one of my Fit Family members just post they were pregnant.

Am I a Dad yet?

April of 2007, the positive pregnancy test. The holy crap moment I'm going to be a Dad. It really didn't set in though. Yes, I know I'm going to be a Dad, but I didn't really fell like one. Someone once told me that a women knows she's a mother when she is pregnant and a man doesn't know he is a father until the baby pops out. (Sorry ladies -- a huge oversimplification about popping out)

I think part of why I feel this way is most of the focus at this point is on the women and rightfully so. She is going through a beautiful miracle of a life growing inside of her. Her body is undertaking a huge transformation.

Your going to the appointments and they are taking pictures, measurements and running all sorts of tests. Its really crazy, especially the closer it gets, but am I a Dad yet?

Oh crap, what the hell am I suppose to do with a little human?

Its getting closer and fear is starting to set in. Can I afford to support a family? How do I take care of a baby. Well, not fear your friends are here to help. LOL! I don't know what it is but people always feel obligated to tell you the horror stories of no sleep, getting pooped or pee'd on. There is truth to it, but what about the happy times. I guess everyone is different, but I better get prepared and learn something.

Daddy Bootcamp to the rescue. Our local hospital actually has a class called Daddy Bootcamp and I encourage all future Dads to take the class cause you better know how to change a diaper.

I took the class about 2 months before my oldest was born and I was really surprised at what I learned. I thought it was all about diaper changing and how to bath a baby. Boy was I dead wrong!! Guys pay attention.

Yes, the class did teach those 2 things and yes you have to know how. The bootcamps are taught my 2 Dads and you definitely get the male perspective. The fascinating part was what they talked about and this is what really stuck with me. The leader in the class said forget about what people have told you and focus on this. You and Mom!! Huh? Yes you and Mom. He said you will be tired, you won't know what to do and there will be nights when the baby won't stop crying, but if you and Mom pay attention to each others needs and "get along" things will be so much better.

This means as a Dad you need to do what you can in the beginning to help as much as possible and you will thank me later "I promise". Its just a fact if the mother is nursing there isn't much you can do to help with that specifically. This means you should pick up slack in other areas: think changing dirty diapers, giving baths and taking the late shift when it comes to bottle time.

Two pluses, happy mom and equally important bonding time with your son or daughter.

Is it time yet?? 

You've done Daddy Bootcamp, the tour of the hospital and the bag is packed. I'm a Dad, Yeah right!! January 2, 2008 college football time. The BCS championship game. I think it was the night Texas beat USC in the Rose bowl.

Strolling into bed around 1:00 am on the 3rd after watching replay after replay. Eyes closed for what seemed like 2 minutes. (actually about 2 hours). I hear

Mom: "Shannon, Shannon".
Me: I wanna sleep
Mom: Get me a towel.
Me: What? I going back to bed:
Mom: My water broke
Me; WHAT??

I hopped out of bed like a crazy man a swung into action. I'm not suggesting not having a plan, but all that crap goes out the window. Ha Ha!! The fun is just beginning, trust me.

Yep I'm a Dad!!

Finally, the hospital. The baby is on its own schedule. Mom is wanting the baby to come out like a month ago and you have no idea what she is going through. For your own safety, just do what she says.

Daddy bootcamp time again. I guess its different for everyone, but they suggested you taking control and warning those who came (family and friends) that there will be times when mom wants you in the room, out of the room or just a certain person. Tell them not to be offended and that when she says out or in, I will be tell you to get out or come in. Remember my safety is on the line!!!

Its time and I won't describe the next part but watching the birth of your son is a miraculous experience and you need to experience this for yourself, so no description.

I just remember when he finally came out, I cried like a baby (not sure who was crying more, him or me). Those tears were when I finally knew I was a Dad!!!!

Well, from here on out your'e on your own, so good luck Dads!!! I've been blessed with 3 boys and I think I'm the one who needs help or a mental institution

No comments:

Post a Comment